The goal of Friends of William Byrd Park is to preserve and protect, restore and improve, and encourage responsible use of the park. The organization also acts in an advisory capacity to the City of Richmond in its administration of the park.
The Friends of William Byrd Park meet on odd numbered months at the Round House from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Dues are $10 a year.
You are invited to drop by and join us on meeting nights.
William Byrd Park is a 274-acre park located in the City of Richmond, Virginia. It is a mixed-use park with graceful shaded lawns, sloping forested land, lakes, outdoor recreational facilities, roads, and old park structures
Since 1874, the area now known as William Byrd Park has played an important role in the development of the City of Richmond and in providing recreational opportunities to the public. In the 1890's the park became an area for recreation and continues to be an important area for passive and active recreational pursuits. It offers fishing in all three lakes, paddle boat rental in the summer, outdoor concerts at Dogwood Dell, walking and running paths, and fireworks on the Fourth of July. The tennis courts and Little League Baseball fields attract people from throughout the region.
The tree-lined roads, mixture of shaded and open lawns, man-made lakes, and rustic park shelters combine to offer a variety of recreational experiences in settings that range from urban leisure to natural wilderness areas. The park’s many parts, developed over 130 years, fit seamlessly together to make it one of Richmond’s most beautiful and prominent landscapes.